Monday, March 15, 2010

Mint Chocolate Cupcakes

This is a fun treat to make for St. Patricks Day! I recently made these to take to a church party. The way I ended up making them was kind of a compilation of ideas from many places, but the basic recipe for the cupcakes is from the Martha Stewart website. After I made the basic recipe, I crushed up half a package of Keebler Grasshopper cookies and mixed it in the batter. You could also use a sleeve of Girl Scout Thin Mints, if you don't eat them all first before getting them into the batter....Then when I made the frosting, I added a little bit of mint extract. I tinted half of the frosting green, and left the other half white, and put each color into a pastry bag. Then I piped on the frosting with a large star tip. The cupcake in the photo is the non-fancy version with all mint frosting - all the fancy ones got eaten up! All green makes it more festive anyway, don't you think?


Mint Chocolate Cupcakes (adapted from the Martha Stewart website)

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 T. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Mix together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, water, buttermilk, oil and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. At this point I added the crushed cookies and mixed them in with a spatula. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Fill each one about 2/3 full. This batter is runny, so don't be concerned by that. Bake for about 20 minutes. Frost with your favorite frosting, and put half a cookie on top just for fun!

1 comment:

  1. YUM! Wow those look so divine. I'm definitely making this for v.t. Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails