Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bagel Dogs

This is a terrific recipe that I found last week over at Real Mom Kitchen. This recipe is not hard, and it's actually really fun, but it does take a lot of time. I had a quiet afternoon one day this week with not much going on, so I decided to tackle this one. My family loved these! The bread is chewy and all bagely-good. I might even just make bagels out of the dough recipe. I bet they'd be great! If you like to bake, this one is a lot of fun.

Bagel Dogs

2 cups water
2 pkgs. yeast (I used 4 tsp. of SAF instant yeast)
3 T. sugar (I actually used honey, it worked great)
3 tsp. table salt
5 cups flour (or enough to make a stiff but not dry dough)
12 good quality hot dogs (I used Hebrew National low fat - yum!)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 egg white plus 1 Tbsp. water


Pour the water into the bowl of a mixer and sprinkle in the yeast. I added the honey at this point and let it sit about 5 minutes until it got foamy. Then add the salt and enough flour to make a stiff dough, about 5 cups. Keep beating until the dough is smooth and elastic - I kneaded for about 3 minutes. Form the dough into a ball and place it in a greased bowl to let it rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.

Punch the dough down and turn out onto a lightly oiled counter. Roll out into a 12x9 inch rectangle. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 1-inch strips.

Wipe the hot dogs with a paper towel to make sure they're dry. Starting at one end of a hot dog, roll the dough around overlapping slightly as you make your way to the other end. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise for about 40 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400. Bring a large pot of water to a slow boil. Add the baking soda to the water. Working 2 or 3 at a time, add the bagel dogs to the boiling water and roll them around with a slotted spoon for about 30 seconds. Remove them from the water, dry carefully on a kitchen towel, and place them back on a greased baking sheet.

Brush them with the egg glaze. At this point you can sprinkle a little coarse salt on them - you could also do poppy seeds or leave them plain. Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until they are golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. Yay I've always wanted to learn how to do this. Thanks! :D

    PS: I gave my v.t. the St. Patrick's treat. I got lots of compliments--so thanks for the recipe. They were perfectly delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails