Monday, February 1, 2010

S'mores Bread Pudding

I saw this dessert in the latest issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine, and I really wanted to try it! OH. MY. This is one of our family's new favorite desserts. This dessert is SO GOOD I can't even explain how good it is. You must try this. It is all kinds of yummy. The original recipe calls for semi-sweet chocolate chips, but I only had milk chocolate. The milk chocolate taste was wonderful, and I don't think I'd try it any other way. The mixture that you drizzle on in the end tastes almost like rich hot chocolate. Give this one a try!! It would make a terrific Valentine's Day dessert!

S'mores Bread Pudding

4 hot dog buns, cut in 1-inch pieces
4 eggs
1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (I used cinnamon because my pickies don't like nutmeg; it was divine.)
1 cup miniature marshmallows
3/4 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chips
5 graham cracker squares, coarsley crushed (about 1/2 cup - put them in a baggie and smash them with your hands)
2 Tbsp. milk

1 - Preheat the oven to 325. Grease a 2 quart square baking dish. Place bun pieces on a baking sheet and bake 7-8 minutes or until dry and crisp.

2 - In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the sweetened condensed milk, 3/4 cup milk, vanilla and nutmeg (or cinnamon).

3 - Place bun pieces in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup each of the marshmallows and chocolate pieces. Evenly pour milk mixture over all. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with crushed graham crackers. Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the remaining marshmallows and bake for another 5 minutes.

4 - For drizzle, in a small saucepan heat and whisk the remaining marshmallows, chocolate pieces, and 2 Tbsp. milk over low heat until melted and smooth. Drizzle over bread pudding. Cool 20-30 minutes before serving. (Or if you're like me, dig right in and burn your face off! It's the only way to go.)

1 comment:

  1. Ooh I'll have to try that. I don't have hotdog buns in stock or I'd make them now, but I'll be getting some cause this sounds delic

    So I made the blueberry muffins again, unfortunately I under cooked them :( So Sad. They were still pretty good, but not nearly as great as the first time, so I'll have to just make them again and make sure to double check to make sure they're baked through.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails