Monday, January 18, 2010

Pork Chops with Pineapple Salsa Rice

Happy Monday! I have a great cookbook called "30 Minute Meals". I tried this recipe out of it this weekend, and it was a big hit! Even the pickies in my home liked it. I have started letting my 9-year-old daughter help me cook meals, and I am finding that kids are much more willing to try things that they helped make. I had heard this before, but I tried it and it actually works! This recipe can be adapted to different tastes depending on what type of salsa you add. I used a milder one with black beans and corn (yum) - but you could use a hotter salsa if you wanted more kick. The next time I make this, I will probably use more pineapple or replace some of the water with pineapple juice, because in the end the pineapple wasn't very noticeable.

Pork Chops with Pineapple Salsa Rice

1 T. oil
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups water
1 small can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1 cup salsa
2 T. sour cream
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (I skipped this, but I'm sure it's good)

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or fry pan over medium high heat. Add pork chops; cook 1-2 minutes on each side just until they begin to brown. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30-45 seconds.

Add water, pineapple with liquid and rice; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 20 minutes. You want the pork to be cooked through, the rice to be tender, and the liquid absorbed. I actually added a little more water while the rice was cooking so that it didn't get too dry.

Arrange pork chops on a serving plate. Add salsa and sour cream to rice; mix well. Cook one minute or until heated through. Sprinkle with cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails