Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Homemade English Muffins


Why do I have a picture of my daughter instead of english muffins, you ask? Well, I made these yesterday, two dozen of them, and this morning when I went to take a picture of them...they were gone! Yes, they are that good! I saw this recipe on Allrecipes yesterday and knew I had to try it. This recipe is easy and fun, and makes some great english muffins at a fraction of the cost of buying them at the store. They also taste better and don't have any preservatives or mysterious ingredients. Bonus! The next time I make these, and there will be a next time, I will hurry and take a photo before the ravenous wolves who inhabit my home descend on them.

English Muffins

1 cup milk
2 T. white sugar
1 (.25 oz) pkg. yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup melted shortening
5 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
1 tsp. salt
cornmeal for dusting

Warm the milk in a saucepan until it bubbles - almost boiling. Stir in the sugar until it dissolves. Set aside to cool. Mix the yeast into the warm water and let it sit until creamy, about 10 minutes (I also added a pinch of sugar to get it going).

In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening, and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add the salt and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead until smooth. Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise (about 45 minutes).

Punch dough down and roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with a biscuit cutter (ideally, a 4 inch cutter. I used a glass). Get out some waxed paper, sprinkle it with cornmeal, and place the cut rounds on it. Sprinkle more cornmeal on top of the rounds. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.

Heat a greased griddle. I used my electric griddle set on about 275 degrees. Cook muffins on the griddle for about 12 minutes - then flip and cook 12 minutes on the other side. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Heather, congrats on being featured on Finest Foodie Fridays!

    Those English muffins sound wonderful. Until recently I never even thought about making them myself. One of these days I'll have to try. Thanks for encouraging your readers that the muffins are easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you on Foodie Fridays too! I've been meaning to have a go at English muffins - you've renewed my interest. Love the banner up top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thanks! I didn't even realize I was a "featured foodie" or I would have put something yummy up on my site! :) You should try the english muffins - they're awesome!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails