Friday, January 29, 2010

Chicken and Noodles

I saw this recipe the other day on The Pioneer Woman Cooks. She made it look pretty easy, so I thought I'd try it. Due to my other various activities that day, it turned out to be kind of a hassle. I think if you had a quiet day at home and time to do this, you would enjoy the process more than I did. Anyway, the end result was fantastic! I took her suggestion to cover the chicken in 4 quarts of water literally though, and that was a mistake. I think you just need to add enough water to cover the chicken. I ended up with way too much water, and had to readjust at the end. This was a great comfort dish on a cold winter day!


Chicken and Noodles, PW style

1 whole cut up fryer chicken
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. pepper, or to taste
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
2 tsp. parsley flakes
16 ounce pkg. frozen "homestyle" egg noodles
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour

Cover chicken in water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and remove as much meat from the bones as you can. Return bones to broth and simmer on low, covered, for 45 minutes.
Remove bones from broth. Add the carrots, celery, and onion to the pot, followed by the herbs and spices. Stir to combine and simmer for 10 minutes to blend flavors.
Increase heat and add frozen noodles and chicken. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
Mix flour and a little water. Stir until smooth. Pour into soup, stir to combine, and simmer for another 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings as needed. (I ended up adding 3 chicken bouillon cubes and a little more of each seasoning. For some reason, my broth didn't taste like anything, maybe due to my adding too much water.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails