Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pan Bread

This is a recipe I’ve had in a church cookbook and been curious about for several years, but have never tried until recently when I needed to take dinner to someone who was sick. I made a great pasta dish and needed something to go with it, so I pulled out this recipe and gave it a go. It’s wonderful! This bread reminded me of something but I couldn't think of what, and then it came to me: this bread is just like the Pillsbury bread sticks in a can, but homemade. My husband keeps talking about how great it was, so I think I’ll be trying it again soon.

Pan Bread

1 Tbsp. yeast
1 1/3 cup warm water
1/3 Cup shortening
4 Tbsp. butter
1/3 cup dry milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/3 tsp. salt
3 ¾ cup flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Mix shortening with dry ingredients using a pastry blender. Add water and yeast mixture until it forms a ball. (At this point, I dumped the whole thing on the counter and just kneaded it together until everything was mixed in good). Melt butter and spread half onto an 11x17 cookie sheet. Press dough onto cookie sheet, and spread the other half of the butter over the top. Let raise 1 hour. Bake at 400 degrees until light brown, about 20-25 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails